- 1 How long should your hair be to donate?
- 2 How long does your hair have to be to donate it to Locks of Love?
- 3 How do I donate my hair in Australia?
- 4 What is the best place to donate hair?
- 5 Is Locks of Love accepting hair?
- 6 Where can I donate 6 inches of hair?
- 7 How do I sell my hair?
- 8 Can I donate my hair during quarantine?
- 9 How do I prepare my hair for donation?
- 10 Who can donate hair?
- 11 How do you measure your hair for donations?
How long should your hair be to donate?
Make sure hair is a minimum of 12 inches for proper hair donation length. We encourage you wait and grow a longer ponytail (14+ inches) to have the most impact on a child in need. Pull curly hair straight for a more accurate measurement. Start the measuring tape at the start of the ponytail.
How long does your hair have to be to donate it to Locks of Love?
Hair We Share and Children with Hair Loss both accept colored or grey but not highlighted hair over 8 inches. Locks of Love and Pink Heart Funds both take hair colored or grey but not over-processed or bleached hair over 10 inches. Wigs for Kids will take grey, but not dyed, hair that is at least 12 inches long.
How do I donate my hair in Australia?
Preparing your hair
- Wash and dry your hair.
- Section your hair into small ponytails around your head and secure with elastics.
- Measure your ponytail.
- Cut hair 1-2cm above the elastic.
- Seal the ponytail in a snap lock bag.
- Place in an envelope and mail to: Sustainable Salons – Ponytails, GPO Box 322, Sydney NSW 2001.
What is the best place to donate hair?
Currently, the three biggest charities in the US that accept hair donations are Locks of Love, Wigs for Kids, and Pantene Beautiful Lengths. Other charities may also accept hair donations, just be sure you know the details before you send your ‘tail in the mail.
Is Locks of Love accepting hair?
Locks of Love requires a minimum of 10″ of hair for donation. If your hair is less than 10″ you can still donate to Locks of Love. Hair shorter than 10″ is sold to offset the manufacturing costs of the hairpieces.
Where can I donate 6 inches of hair?
Your Complete Guide on Where to Donate Hair
- Wigs 4 Kids. Request 10 inches or more (but will take as short as 7 inches).
- Locks of Love. Minimum of 10 inches or more.
- Children with Hair Loss. Minimum of 8 inches or more.
- Wigs for Kids. Minimum of 12 inches or more.
- Chai Lifetime.
- World of Wigs.
- 360 Hair.
- Angel Hair Foundation.
How do I sell my hair?
If you’re interested in selling yours, consider growing it out first. Don’t cut your hair, until you’ve made a sale (and have received the funds). How to Sell Your Hair Online
- Choose a listing site. There are several websites that specialize in hair sales.
- Write up your listing.
- Set an asking price.
- Make your sale.
Can I donate my hair during quarantine?
If you are not experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, it is safe to donate hair. So your hair donation helps kids with Alopecia Areata twice!
How do I prepare my hair for donation?
In general, organizations ask that donated hair be bundled into a ponytail or braid that’s tightly secured with rubber bands at both ends. Loose hair or clippings from the floor aren’t accepted. Before you head to the salon, make sure to:
- Wash and dry your hair.
- Pack your supplies.
- Have a hairstyle in mind.
Who can donate hair?
Guidelines for suitable hair
- We accept hair that is at least 12”/ 30 cms, as some of the hair will be lost while making wigs.
- Hair must be maintained in good condition.
- Clean, dry hair (no split ends) from any gender and of any natural colour.
- Straight, wavy, curly, permed or chemically straightened hair.
How do you measure your hair for donations?
Measure the length of the ponytail from the elastic band; make sure the hair is at least 8 inches. Any length shorter than 8 inches is too short to be used in a wig and will not be used. There is no maximum length requirement. (If your hair is not 8 inches, continue to grow your hair out.)